The Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap is back! Join in, make a stitched postcard and receive some gorgeous stitched loveliness in the post from somewhere else in the world! What’s not to love? REGISTER HERE!
This is our sixth swap. To date hundreds of people from all over the world have participated. It is a fantastic way to get motivated, get creating, and get connected with new people. You might even get your work showcased in MOYO Magazine or on Do What You Love! PLUS we have a fantastic giveaway – read on for details!
For this swap the theme is… CELEBRATE! What is going on in your life that deserves celebrating? What are you grateful for? Or what ideas do you have for using your postcard to inspire someone else to celebrate? We want to see that on your stitched postcard!
You can use any materials you like (paper, ink, fabric, ephemera, ribbon etc) , and put it together anyway you like to make a postcard. You can include ‘stitches’ any way you like – with a machine or by hand, and you can either send your postcard as it is, or pop it in an envelope to protect it.
The Great Big Stitched Postcard swap is free, and it’s easy to join in. Just follow the instructions below and register by Wednesday 25 September. And don’t forget to read to the bottom for details of our very special giveaway…
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
– Register here by midnight GMT on Wednesday 25 September.
– If you like, write a post or put a button on your blog to say you are joining in. Please help spread the word! Feel free to use the little image below or the larger one above and link back to http://dowhatyouloveforlife.com/swap (just save it to your computer direct from this blog post – you have permission!).
– Get busy making your postcard right away with the theme ‘CELEBRATE’, using any materials you like, and any techniques you like. For inspiration click this link to see what was made in the last five swaps, with the themes ‘TIME’, ‘HOME’, ‘LOVE’, ‘BLOOM’ and ‘DISCOVER’.
– You will be sent the address of your swap partner by Friday 4 October latest. (The swap is free to enter but you will need to pay the postage yourself, as well as the cost of any materials used to make your postcard. Please be aware your swap partner may not live in the same country as you.)
– When you have finished making your postcard, join our Flickr group here. Take a photo of your postcard and post a picture of it to the Flickr group. If you want to be entered into the giveaway (see below) and have the chance to get featured in our showcase in MOYO Magazine (Spring 2014 edition) or on the Do What You Love blog, be sure to email a photo or scan of your finished postcard to email@example.com by Wednesday 16 October latest. Please include your full name, website/blog address (if you have one) and country along with your photograph, and put ‘GBSPS 6 swap postcard’ in the subject of your email.
– Be sure to post your postcard to your swap partner by Wednesday 16 October 2013.
– Wait eagerly to receive a lovely stitched postcard! When it arrives, pop into the Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap Flickr group, and have a look to see if your partner posted it before they sent it. If they did, please leave a comment to say it arrived. If you can’t find a photo of it, why not share a photo of it yourself to let them know it arrived safely, and to let us all see! Please feel free to leave a blog link under the picture.
– If you write a blog post about the swap please feel free to post a link on the Do What You Love facebook page.
– Enjoy the postcard art that has been made with love and flown to you from somewhere else in the world! If you talk about it on Twitter please use #GBSPS (and follow my updates via @DoWhatYouLoveXx)
So what are you waiting for? Register now and join in the fun! And don’t forget to tell your friends…
One participant who posts their postcard and sends in a photo of it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 16 October will win a free place on ‘Designing Your Way’ – Module 1 of The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design’ with Rachael Taylor (class starts March 24 2014)!
In this course you will learn everything you need to know to turn basic sketches into elements for pattern design. Find out more about colour and pattern, and how to create moodboards. Learn how to develop your signature style and get industry insider tips and tricks. Find out more about colour and pattern, and how to create moodboards. Learn how to develop your signature style and get industry insider tips and tricks!
- How and where to seek out design inspiration
- How to work with colour
- How to create moodboards
- How to build a pattern
- How to develop your signature style and use this to brand your business
- How to turn elements of a mixed media painting into a pattern (featuring the work of Kelly Rae Roberts)
- Time-saving tricks and industry insider tips
- The secrets of successful surface pattern designers
PLUS bonus step-by-step guides to scanning images and basic manipulation in Photoshop, and playing with colour, sketching and creating repeats on your computer, and a downloadable pattern source guide
AND a peek behind the scenes of Rachael Taylor’s life as a dynamic and successful professional surface pattern designer and a glimpse at some previously unpublished designs!
To be in with a chance to win, be sure to send off your postcard and send a photo of it to us by email (email@example.com) by Wednesday 16 October!
GET FEATURED IN OUR SHOWCASE IN MOYO MAGAZINE!
For the first time ever we will be doing a magazine feature all about the swap! This will be published in MOYO Magazine (which you can read for free via this link) in Spring 2014. The Editors will pick a selection of submitted postcards to be included in the feature. We will also be doing a gallery of postcards (random selection) on the Do What You Love blog in October. To be considered for these be sure to send off your postcard and send a photo of it to us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Wednesday 16 October!