The Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap is a global swap of stitched postcard love, where people all across the world make a postcard-sized piece of art using any materials they like. The only rules are that it needs to include some kind of stitching, and it needs to fit with that quarter’s swap theme.
The 7th Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap is now live and open for registration here, with the theme CREATE. You can use any materials you like (paper, ink, fabric, ephemera, ribbon etc) , and put it together anyway you like to make a postcard. You can include ‘stitches’ any way you like – with a machine or by hand, and you can either send your postcard as it is, or pop it in an envelope to protect it. And in celebration of our brand new online course ‘PaperLove’ we are also challenging you to do something innovative with paper within your postcard design. This is your chance to be really creative, and share your love of creativity with someone somewhere else in the world.
The Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap is free to enter (you just pay for the cost of making and posting your postcard), and it’s easy to join in with hundreds of others from around the world. Just follow the instructions below and register by Wednesday 25 February 2014. If you join us you will be allocated a swap partner to post your creation to, and then you can look forward to receiving some creative goodness back, in the form of another handmade postcard.
And all new for this year… we are thrilled to be bringing this to you in collaboration with Anchor, part of the worldwide Coats Group that can trace its roots back nearly 250 years. Coats is the world’s largest supplier of crafting products — from innovative cotton sewing threads, to knitting, embroidery crochet, fabrics and a whole range of accessories. Check out their brand new website MakeitCoats where you will find a world of crafting inspiration, including hundreds of free patterns and tutorials.
Together we are offering a very special prize for the 7th Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap…
One lucky participant will win a gorgeous creative bundle worth over $500:
- The full range of new Anchor Postcard Kits from Coats (a total of 20 postcards)
- A delicious package of 80 skeins of Anchor Stranded Cotton from Coats
- A free place on the upcoming PaperLove online course (starts March 31)
- A treasure box of stationery and other crafty delights in the PaperLove kit
Register for the 7th Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap (details below) by midnight GMT on Tuesday February 25 2014, and share your postcard on the Do What You Love Facebook page by midnight GMT on Thursday 13 March 2014. Please be sure to include your name and a link to any blog post you have written about the swap.
THE SMALL PRINT
The winner will be chosen by Do What You Love/Make It Coats from the postcards shared on the Do What You Love Facebook page by the deadline give above. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. The prize is non-transferable and there is no cash alternative unless you have already registered for the PaperLove course and you win, in which case you will get your course fee back. This competition is open to anyone from any country over 18 years of age. The winner will be announced on this blog on Tuesday 18 March. Thank you and good luck!
JOIN THE SWAP!
- Register here by midnight GMT on Tuesday 25 February 2014.
- If you like, write a post or put a button on your blog to say you are joining in. Please help spread the word! Feel free to use the little image below or the larger one above and link back to http://dowhatyouloveforlife.com/swap (just save it to your computer direct from this blog post – you have permission!).
- Get busy making your postcard right away with the theme ‘CREATE’, using any materials you like, and any techniques you like. And in celebration of our brand new online course ‘PaperLove’ we are also challenging you to do something innovative with paper within your postcard design. For inspiration scroll to the end of this page to see what was made in the last six swaps, with the themes ‘TIME’, ‘HOME’, ‘LOVE’, ‘BLOOM’, ‘DISCOVER’ and ‘CELEBRATE’.
- You will be sent the address of your swap partner by Wednesday 5 March latest. (The swap is free to enter but you will need to pay the postage yourself, as well as the cost of any materials used to make your postcard. Please be aware your swap partner may not live in the same country as you.)
- Be sure to post your postcard to your swap partner by Thursday 13 March 2014.
- If you want to be entered into the giveaway (see above), be sure to share a photo of your finished postcard on the Do What You Love Facebook page by midnight GMT on Thursday 13 March 2014. Please be sure to include your name and a link to any blog post you have written about the swap.
- Wait eagerly to receive a lovely stitched postcard! When it arrives, feel free to share a note on the Do What You Love Facebook page to say that it arrived safely – why not include a picture of yourself holding it? (For those of you who have joined in previous swaps, please note we are not using the Flickr group this time. Instead we will be creating a special album on the Do What You Love Facebook page using all the images that are posted on the page by participants).
- If you write a blog post about the swap please feel free to post a link on the Do What You Love facebook page
- Enjoy the postcard art that has been made with love and flown to you from somewhere else in the world! If you talk about it on Twitter or Instagram please use #GBSPS (and follow my updates via @DoWhatYouLoveXx)
- The giveaway winner will be announced on this blog on Tuesday 18 March
Any questions? Please email us at email@example.com