Today I want to talk about something which can be a real sticking point for many of us – knowing we want to do what we love but not knowing how to actually make money from it. And let’s face it, most of us need to generate an income somehow. So I thought it would be helpful to share some questions which can help you figure out what might work for you. And if you already have a side hustle or a fully-fledged business, these questions can help you extend what you offer. Depending on your situation, some of the questions will be really obvious, and others will prompt a new avenue of thought. I encourage you to find a few minutes this weekend to sit with a cuppa and your journal, and see what emerges!
- Looking back at my story, what opportunities are there to monetise what I have learnt along the way?
- What skills/knowledge do I have that I could hire out by the hour as a freelancer?
- What could I make and sell?
- What could I teach in person?
- What could I teach online?
- What could I write about in a physical book?
- What could I share via an e-book?
- What topics could I consult on?
- What could I coach people on?
- Business ideas are everywhere. What products/services are out there that I could improve upon?
- Business ideas are everywhere. What products/services are needed but don’t exist?
- What opportunities in my field are offered by rapidly changing technology?
- What could I do as a side project to test the water before jumping in?
- Could I simply ask for a pay rise at my current job to help fund doing more of what I love? (Be sure to demonstrate why this is justified based on the value you bring and have created for your employer)
And if you already make/sell something, ask yourself:
- How could I sell more EXISTING products to EXISTING customers?
- How could I sell more EXISTING products to NEW customers?
- How could I sell more NEW products to EXISTING customers?
- How could I sell more NEW products to NEW customers?
Any closer to figuring it out? If so, you might find one of our courses helpful to take the next step (and the next, and the next)
PS I’m off to Japan on Sunday to work on a top secret project! Can’t wait to share more about it soon. In the meantime, come and follow along on Instagram @bethkempton. I promise loads of gorgeous eye candy and off-the-beaten-track peeks into this wonderful country!