“Whatever you do, or dream you can do – begin it. Boldness has genius and magic and power in it.”
– Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
As the New Year approaches, with it comes our chance to reflect on our successes from 2017, and begin our plans to make 2018 the most amazing year it can possibly be.
No matter what your stance is on New Year’s resolutions, whether you love them or loathe them, we’d like to share with you some ideas for resolutions or personal projects to make the new year a happier, healthier, calmer year going forward.
We suggest using our curated list below either for inspiration when you come to make our New Year’s resolution, or for ideas on personal projects you’d like to focus on during the year. All ideas provided below are curated for those who would like to walk into 2018 doing what they love. You’ve got this.
Wishing you lots of luck, love, health and happiness for Christmas and in 2018!
Team Do What You Love
50 New Year’s Resolution Ideas To Walk Into 2018 Doing What You Love
- Leave work on time everyday (read Digital Detox Expert Fran Booth’s tips for doing this)
- Vow to let go of something holding you back (get help with that right here)
- Listen to more podcasts that awaken something within you
- Do one small thing to self-care everyday (read 50 ways you can practice self-care)
- Read 1 book a month
- Be among nature at least once a week
- Write in a journal every day (If you’re an aspiring writer this will help)
- Embrace wholeness every day (Here’s 4 ways to embrace wholeness you can try)
- Practice daily or weekly manifestation
- Do one thing at a time
- Practice anxiety-relieving techniques (Our post on positive thinking may help, we also recommend this book)
- Practice meditation (Rebecca Campbell’s Light Sourcing Meditation is a great free tool)
- Detox your inbox, forever (this trick helps you do it in a few clicks)
- Write a list of 12 new experiences you’d like to try this year (Beth + Paul went Barista training in 2016!)
- Subscribe to a magazine that brings you joy (we love Where Women Create, Flow and National Geographic)
- Live consciously and cycle your commute (this story from Claire Le Hur who cycled to China will inspire you!)
- Plan a big or micro adventure (Alastair Humphreys is the man to follow for inspiration)
- Start a blog (our free Guide to Blogging resource will help you begin)
- Hand write monthly letters to a family member or a friend
- Donate to a charity that’s dear to your heart
- Create a happy corner in your house (a place you can sit and escape whenever you like)
- Keep a gratitude journal
- Teach someone something (a friend, a class, an online workshop, find out what you can teach and share your knowledge)
- Learn a new language
- Take a photo every day. Create a private Instagram to share it, and document your world.
- Cook something you’ve never cooked before. Do this monthly.
- Join a choir or dance class. Channel your inner child.
- Plant and nurture a tree.
- Plan monthly family days, or date nights.
- Start saying NO (and don’t be afraid you’ll offend someone with these expert tips)
- Start saying YES (to new opportunities you would normally shy away from. The YEStival is for you)
- Give your time to someone once a month (volunteering, teaching, helping your relative, it will make you feel alive).
- Make your wardrobe (and life!) more colourful (Check out Kelly Rae’s course Wear Your Joy)
- Sign up to an exercise class that brings you happiness.
- Do daily stretching.
- Plug out of technology for one night every week.
- Start saving for something special to you.
- Join a tribe and nurture relationships within it.
- Give yourself a quarterly away day. (Read our tips here)
- Make a ritual of having dinner as a family, at the same time, around the table, no devices allowed.
- Spend one day every week changing your routine (Rose’s story will inspire you!)
- Set yourself quarterly goals, keep a diary and track the progress you make.
- Do a creative project seasonally or monthly. You could even do this as a family.
- Write gratitude letters to the people who make you happy throughout the year.
- Do one thing nice for yourself every day.
- Put something you are excited about in your calendar every month.
- Set daily intentions every morning.
- Do nothing but breathe and be still for 10 minutes every day.
- Start doing something you used to love doing as a teen.
- Write down 3 things that make you happy every day.