In the spirit of summer we’re delighted to bring you this post from lifestyle blogger Niomi Smart who packed a delicious picnic to enjoy at The Little beach Hut of Dreams….
Last week I was lucky enough to spend the day in the ‘Little Beach Hut Of Dreams‘ in Hove, Brighton, so I whipped up lots of delicious food in preparation for a delicious picnic by the sea.
The beach hut is beautifully decorated in greys, whites and pale pinks, and there are comfy seats with big fluffy cushions to help you get comfortable while you dream the day away. As it’s the height of summer (although you’d never know from the windy weather!), I thought I’d make this video to share a few of my fresh and healthy recipes, which are perfect to pack up and enjoy on-the-go. They’re all listed below, too. I hope you enjoy!
- melon chunks
1. Chop the strawberries into chunks, and slide onto a skewer. Follow with a blueberry, then a raspberry and finish with another strawberry chunk.
2. Repeat with the melon and grapes.
Corn on the cobs
- 2 corn on the cobs
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
2. Wrap in tin foil and place in the oven.
2. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red chilli
- Himalayan salt & pepper to taste
- handful fresh coriander leaves
- 1/4 cucumber, chopped
1. Place all of the ingredients into a food processor apart from the coriander and cucumber and pulse until the tomatoes and onions are chopped to the consistency that you would like the salsa.
2. If there is a lot of liquid from the tomatoes, spoon out the excess liquid. Transfer into a container with a lid.
3. Chop the cucumber into small chunks and pick a handful of coriander leaves and stir into the salsa.
4. Store in the fridge for up to three days.
Butternut squash & buckwheat salad
- 1 cup uncooked bulgar wheat
- 1/2 butternut squash
- salad leaves
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- handful fresh coriander
1. Peel the skin from the butternut squash and chop into about 1 inch thick chunks. Steam for about 20 minutes or until soft.
2. Cook the buckwheat according the the instructions and allow to cool.
3. When the buckwheat and butternut squash are cool, transfer to a large bowl and stir in all the remaining ingredients.
Fresh mint & orange water (serves 2)
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 large orange
- 1 lime
1. Slice the orange and lime into slices and divide into two glasses.
2. Add the fresh mint leaves to the glasses and top with water.
Naomi’s outfit: Dress – ASOS, bag – Skinnydip, shoes – ASOS, sunglasses – Quay Australia
To find out more about Niomi, visit her website.